Information on:

Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium

1601 East University Boulevard
520-621-4516

Mission

Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium brings together the University of Arizona and regional communities to inspire the teaching and learning of science and technology and to create pathways to lifelong learning. We make science fun!

History

Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium got its start with a 1972 bequest from the estate of Grace H. Flandrau, noted author and frequent winter visitor to Tucson. The University decided to use the generous gift to fund a facility that would increase public understanding and appreciation of science.

Originally known as The Grace H. Flandrau Planetarium, the facility was part of the UA Department of Astronomy. Its location on campus, near the Astronomy Department, Optical Sciences Center, Lunar and Planetary Laboratory and historic Steward Observatory, reflects its continuing connections to the research community.

The Planetarium was designed by Tucson architectural firm Blanton and Company and opened its door to the public in 1975.



Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media

Photos